C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is multiple choice cloze where students have to choose the correct word from four similar given words.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 32
This exercise type tests use of idioms, collocations, phrasal verbs and semantic precision in general. For each question below, choose the best answer from the four possibilities. Think also about why the other three choices are NOT possible.
1. People tend to _____________ organic food as being healthier, but the reality is a bit more complex.
2. As a parent, she was _____________ of her children's online activities, monitoring their internet usage to ensure their safety.
3. The I.T. team made a(n) _____________ effort to complete the project on time.
4. To set the mood for their romantic anniversary dinner, he adjusted the ambiance by _____________ the lights.
5. There was an _____________ fortress on the hill, impossible to breach by any enemy.
6. The war monument served as a _____________ for those who had given their lives in service to the country.
7. In recognition of his outstanding service, the company decided to _____________ him with a bonus.
8. In large supermarkets, customers can make payments at numerous _____________ spread throughout the store.