C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is multiple choice cloze where students have to choose the correct word from four similar given words.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 31
This exercise type tests use of idioms, collocations, phrasal verbs and semantic precision in general. For each question below, choose the best answer from the four possibilities. Think also about why the other three choices are NOT possible.
1. His disorganised speech indicated that he was quite _____________ in his thinking.
2. I'm not sure of this painting's value, so I would like to have it _____________.
3. The kidnappers demanded a _____________ for the safe return of the manager's wife.
4. Her speech was a(n) _____________ plea for justice, stirring the hearts of all who heard it.
5. In conflict zones, _____________ are common as they help maintain order and monitor the movement of goods and people.
6. He knew in his _____________ that choosing to pursue his dream, though risky, was the right decision.
7. After hours of negotiation, they refused to _____________ to the unreasonable demands.
- give on
- let in
- let on
- give in
8. She was _____________ multiple responsibilities at work, making her days extremely busy.