C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is multiple choice cloze where students have to choose the correct word from four similar given words.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 29
This exercise type tests use of idioms, collocations, phrasal verbs and semantic precision in general. For each question below, choose the best answer from the four possibilities. Think also about why the other three choices are NOT possible.
1. Luxuries were often beyond the _____________ of common people.
2. Winning the lottery is a situation most people would love to find _____________ in.
- each other
3. He was _____________ about his success, barely able to contain his joy when his novel won the prestigious award.
4. He woke on the sofa, still in his clothes and his hair totally _____________.
5. Despite the constant upheavals and challenges that came his way, he always managed to come _____________ on top, thanks to his persistence and resilience.
6. Do you have even a _____________ interest in learning to cook?
7. During his performance, the nervous comedian _____________ over his punchlines, diminishing the impact of his jokes.
8. During the summer, tourists _____________ into the beach bars, looking for cool drinks and good company.