C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is multiple choice cloze where students have to choose the correct word from four similar given words.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 28
This exercise type tests use of idioms, collocations, phrasal verbs and semantic precision in general. For each question below, choose the best answer from the four possibilities. Think also about why the other three choices are NOT possible.
1. Politicians try to convince the _____________ voters with their campaigns.
2. Ageing is a natural process that will in time take _____________ toll on the body.
3. Police are usually _____________ towards minor traffic violations.
4. She remembered her childhood _____________, the memories filled with laughter and love.
5. After his embarrassing comment, a _____________ silence descended on the room.
6. Once the panic _____________, she was able to think clearly and formulate a plan to get help.
7. After a series of _____________ in the neighbourhood, the residents decided to set up a neighbourhood watch.
8. The trail led to a(n) _____________ field, giving the hikers a perfect view of the sunset.