C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is multiple choice cloze where students have to choose the correct word from four similar given words.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 27
This exercise type tests use of idioms, collocations, phrasal verbs and semantic precision in general. For each question below, choose the best answer from the four possibilities. Think also about why the other three choices are NOT possible.
1. The laws are in place to protect the monuments but the guards often turn a blind _____________ to what people get up to here.
2. As soon as the bomb was discovered by one of the cleaning staff, the police had the area _____________ off and no-one was allowed within two blocks of the cafe.
3. We had a great birthday dinner but I didn't expect it to _____________ us back quite so much. That place is expensive!
4. Funding to the sales department should be increased but not at the _____________ of other sections of the company.
5. On the last day of the festival, we have a choice between a battle re-enactment and a poetry _____________ near the abbey.
6. "Who is that strange woman _____________ you from across the room? She looks quite aggressive."
7. _____________ how nicely she asks me, I don't see why I should help her after her earlier attitude.
a. No matter
b. No doubt
c. No need
d. No importance
8. Ladies and gentlemen, we may soon have to change _____________ slightly to avoid a dangerous looking thunderstorm up ahead. We will keep you informed at all times.