C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is multiple choice cloze where students have to choose the correct word from four similar given words.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 26
This exercise type tests use of idioms, collocations, phrasal verbs and semantic precision in general. For each question below, choose the best answer from the four possibilities. Think also about why the other three choices are NOT possible.
1. Sir, are you aware that local fire restrictions _____________ the number of people allowed in a club this size to 200?
2. If Harold never won any cups, why is his name _____________ onto this golfing trophy?
3. The extensive winds that have been _____________ Florida will move away as the weekend draws to a close.
4. Despite the scandal, the leader emerged with his reputation _____________.
5. Three of the escapees have now been recaptured but police spokesmen have said they are concerned that, of the fourth prisoner, _____________ information is known that could help the authorities put him back behind bars.
d. a little
6. If the manager says anything about the missed deadline, just _____________ your tongue, say nothing and we can discuss it later.
7. I didn't realise you were so _____________ interested in fishing.
8. The most important parts of your job may seem difficult now but they will become second _____________ to you within a couple of weeks.