C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is multiple choice cloze where students have to choose the correct word from four similar given words.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 24
This exercise type tests use of idioms, collocations, phrasal verbs and semantic precision in general. For each question below, choose the best answer from the four possibilities. Think also about why the other three choices are NOT possible.
1. Your laziness has _____________ in these terrible exam results. You only have yourself to blame.
2. I have tried every product on the market and still I can't rid these curtains of the _____________ of cigarette smoke.
3. Granddad would spend hours talking to us youngsters around the dinner table _____________ about his happy younger days back east on the farm.
4. Many celebrities complain about the media attention but I think many of them thrive on being in the _____________.
5. James Dean became something of a(n) _____________ for rebellious teenagers across America in the 1950s.
d. status symbol
6. The winning team were roundly criticised by the local media for the way in which they had _____________ over the losing team. It was considered very unsporting.
c. showed up
7. Mike spent three days at the driving centre before giving up. He just couldn't _____________ to grips with driving such a large truck.
8. I retired three years ago and didn't know what to do with myself. Getting this dog has given me a new _____________ of life.