C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is multiple choice cloze where students have to choose the correct word from four similar given words.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 23 - Answer Sheet
This exercise type tests use of idioms, collocations, phrasal verbs and semantic precision in general. For each question below, choose the best answer from the four possibilities. Think also about why the other three choices are NOT possible.
1. Do you realise I have now written over a hundred letters of application in _____________ of a new job. I should become a secretary!
2. I am afraid to inform the cabinet that there is a traitor in our _____________. We have begun an investigation to find out who the culprit is.
3. Why are you _____________ at me in that suspicious way? I didn't do anything!
4. The young rookie scored over 20 goals in his first year, taking the whole league by _____________.
5. I hope you won't feel too _____________ if I turn up at the last minute. The hotel was fully booked!
a. put in
b. put out
c. put up
d. put away
6. Hubert _____________ remembered locking the door and couldn't understand how it was now standing wide open.
7. A lesser known symptom of this condition is that you will suddenly have panic attacks and _____________ cold sweats with little or no warning.
a. break into
b. come across
c. give off
d. switch on
8. If you are looking for Sheila, she is over in the corner of the library with her head _____________ in her books.