C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is multiple choice cloze where students have to choose the correct word from four similar given words.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 21
This exercise type tests use of idioms, collocations, phrasal verbs and semantic precision in general. For each question below, choose the best answer from the four possibilities. Think also about why the other three choices are NOT possible.
1. You seem a strong candidate Mr. Williams but you don't quite _____________ our requirements for this post.
2. _____________ by both financial and emotional problems, the father decided he had had enough and slipped away from the house quietly at dawn.
3. I felt let down by a very unsupportive boardroom, _____________ by the very chairman himself, Wilson Gray. I had no choice but to resign.
a. at most
b. not least
4. If they ask you about me, don't _____________ that you know where I am, OK?
a. let on
b. give in
c. give on
d. let in
5. Just remember that August in Australia is _____________ with a North American December, though it doesn't snow!
a. on level
b. on a par
6. A(n) _____________ diamond such as this would fetch over one hundred thousand if put up for auction.
a. error free
7. Only when explorers finally penetrated the _____________ forests of Central and South America were these ruins revealed to the world at last.
8. The average Siberian Stoat family group _____________ one male, two or three females and the young of all of the females.
d. makes up