C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is multiple choice cloze where students have to choose the correct word from four similar given words.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 20
This exercise type tests use of idioms, collocations, phrasal verbs and semantic precision in general. For each question below, choose the best answer from the four possibilities. Think also about why the other three choices are NOT possible.
1. The sales department was _____________ with complaints after the faulty washing machine went on sale nationwide.
2. The police were called out in the early hours of the morning when there was a _____________ involving a few teenagers.
3. Morale at the football club began to decline as the _____________ departure of the coach approached.
4. The coach has _____________ fit to move to another club after some disputes over player contracts.
5. _____________ on by my husband, I applied for the job I had always dreamt of having.
6. As you are no doubt _____________ aware, your lies have shown you to be an untrustworthy employee and we will have to let you go.
7. The train finally arrived, covered in snow after two further hours. _____________ to say, when I arrived at the restaurant, there was no sign of Maggie at all.
8. Did you ever realise you have an uncanny _____________ of coming down to the kitchen just as I am about to serve dinner? Very strange!