C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is multiple choice cloze where students have to choose the correct word from four similar given words.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 19
This exercise type tests use of idioms, collocations, phrasal verbs and semantic precision in general. For each question below, choose the best answer from the four possibilities. Think also about why the other three choices are NOT possible.
1. The spacecraft _____________ into space and then spent three days getting to the Moon.
2. New drugs need to be tested for years to see if there are any _____________ effects which could be harmful.
3. The opposition protests against the government now threaten to get out of _____________ and the security forces are likely to make arrests around the country today.
d. the ordinary
4. The police, _____________ convinced of the suspect's guilt, began to follow him covertly 24 hours a day.
5. The room fell silent when Johnson, unaware of the couple's history, _____________ the subject of divorce.
a. brought about
b. brought in
c. brought up
d. brought off
6. I suppose I always felt a certain amount of jealousy towards Elvin who was always such a well _____________ young man.
a. thought about
b. thought up
c. thought through
d. thought of
7. I can't stand opera. I can't even _____________ myself to listen to five minutes of it on a CD.
8. Don't worry about those two rowing. They have a long history _____________ back to when they were at college together. I think they even enjoy arguing.