C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is multiple choice cloze where students have to choose the correct word from four similar given words.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 17
This exercise type tests use of idioms, collocations, phrasal verbs and semantic precision in general. For each question below, choose the best answer from the four possibilities. Think also about why the other three choices are NOT possible.
1. Harry thought about betting $200 on a horse called Lucky Harry in the year's biggest horse race but lost his _____________ at the last moment. Fortunately, it fell at the first hurdle!
2. I know the truth will finally _____________ and when it does, he who is guilty will be made to pay!
3. The company's financial _____________ was so serious that investors were warned that they could lose all their money.
4. Are you doing this English course with a(n) _____________ to getting a better job or not?
5. If you are _____________ so much with the new Calculus course, why don't you consider doing a few private lessons?
6. _____________ your continued late arrival at work, I have been pleased with your work here.
7. Ever since he was bitten on the leg by Harry's dog, he has walked with a _____________.
8. By 2am, the number of people at the party had _____________ to almost zero and we left too.
9. Once we knew he didn't take _____________ to being imitated, we stopped immediately.
10. The Prime Minister has said that a tiny, unruly _____________ within the otherwise peaceful demonstration was to blame for the trouble which followed.