C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is multiple choice cloze where students have to choose the correct word from four similar given words.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 11 - Answer Sheet
This exercise type tests use of idioms, collocations, phrasal verbs and semantic precision in general. For each question below, choose the best answer from the four possibilities. Think also about why the other three choices are NOT possible.
1. The epidemic is thought to have started when the Brazilian monkey travelled to Europe with a circus and _____________ some of the animals there.
b. was contagious to
2. His performance was so spectacular that he was _____________ out for praise by the team manager at the end of the game.
3. That is Suzy's car in the driveway. She _____________ at work!
a. shouldn't be
b. couldn't be
c. oughtn't be
d. can't be
4. You can decide not to go to university but you _____________ the risk of not getting a good job later.
5. The costs of this plan for our company are _____________ by the enormous benefits it will bring us and I think we should approve it as soon as possible.
6. If we walk _____________ enough, we should arrive at the hostel before it gets dark.
7. Now you mention his name, I do have a vague _____________ of having once met Stephen Harmiss. But I couldn't tell you where it was!
8. The murder suspect managed to throw the police _____________ the trail with a brilliant alibi.
b. out of
9. Don't worry about swimming with that watch on. It is _____________. You can't damage it.
10. _____________ my boss notices what I do in the office, I might as well not be there!
b. For all
d. With regards to