C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is Key Word Transformations. In this part, a sentence is followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student must use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Key Word Transformations Worksheet 9
For each sentence, use between three and eight words in the space provided so that the second sentence has the same meaning as the first sentence. You must use the word given in bold without changing it in any way. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. Dylan never pays much attention to what his father says.
Dylan doesn't ever __________________________ what his father tells him.
2. I wish Julie would learn to drive.
It's __________________________ drive.
3. If only I had traveled more when I had the chance.
I wish __________________________ travel more.
4. Karen had just started her new teaching job when she got flu.
Karen __________________________ just after starting her new teaching job.
5. It would have been a total catastrophe for her to be made responsible.
If she __________________________, there would have been very serious consequences.
6. Kim doesn't intend to visit her uncle again.
Kim __________________________ her uncle again.
7. The third candidate impressed the panel immediately.
The third candidate __________________________ the panelists.
8. This part of the factory can only be entered by authorized staff.
Access __________________________ in this part of the factory.