C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is Key Word Transformations. In this part, a sentence is followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student must use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Key Word Transformations Worksheet 8
For each sentence, use between three and eight words in the space provided so that the second sentence has the same meaning as the first sentence. You must use the word given in bold without changing it in any way. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. They thought that the music was too loud.
As __________________________ the music was too loud.
2. In spite of all my efforts, I didn't manage to persuade them to come to the concert.
No matter __________________________, I didn't manage to persuade them to come to the concert.
3. The police were forced to release the suspect because new evidence was produced.
The police were forced to release the suspect __________________________ evidence produced.
4. But for the sea being unusually warm, they never would have survived.
If it hadn't been for the __________________________ been killed.
5. People know more about my novels than the plays I write.
I'm __________________________ than as a playwright.
6. I've been informed that you've been late to the office every day this week.
It has __________________________ that you've been late to the office every day this week.
7. I apologise but I totally forgot about our dinner appointment.
I must __________________________ my mind.
8. They made him wait for two hours, then eventually let him in.
He was eventually allowed in after having __________________________ for two hours.