C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is Key Word Transformations. In this part, a sentence is followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student must use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Key Word Transformations Worksheet 7 - Answer Sheet
For each sentence, use between three and eight words in the space provided so that the second sentence has the same meaning as the first sentence. You must use the word given in bold without changing it in any way. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. The judges gave Joseph the impression that he would win the competition.
Joseph __WAS MADE TO BELIEVE__ he would win the competition.
2. Sharon really has no idea of the difficulty of finding a parking spot.
Little does Sharon __REALIZE HOW HARD IT IS__ to find a parking spot.
3. Ken said absolutely nothing because he was afraid of offending the women.
Ken remained absolutely silent __FOR FEAR OF CAUSING__ offence to the women.
4. Barbara's total dedication to her job has always been exemplary.
Barbara __DEDICATES HERSELF TO HER JOB__ in the most exemplary way.
5. He doesn't mind at all if Kim records his speech.
He has __NO OBJECTION TO KIM RECORDING__ his speech.
6. Nobody really expected Glen to do so well in his Biology exams.
Everyone __WAS TAKEN ABACK THAT GLEN__ did so well in his Biology exams.
7. Nina has run away from home on other occasions.
This is __NOT THE FIRST TIME NINA'S__ run away from home.
8. I offered Fred the position but he refused it.
Fred was __OFFERED THE POSITION BUT TURNED__ it down.