C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is Key Word Transformations. In this part, a sentence is followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student must use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Key Word Transformations Worksheet 6 - Answer Sheet
For each sentence, use between three and eight words in the space provided so that the second sentence has the same meaning as the first sentence. You must use the word given in bold without changing it in any way. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. She still hasn't really recovered from losing her job in August.
She still really hasn't got __OVER BEING MADE REDUNDANT__ in August.
2. I'm afraid I believed his fake story completely!
I regret to say that I __WAS TAKEN IN BY__ his fake story.
3. This washing machine will give you years of service if you care for it properly.
Properly __LOOKED AFTER, THIS WASHING MACHINE__ will give you years of service.
4. Could you help me tackle a problem with my son?
I'd be grateful for __YOUR HELP IN DEALING WITH__ a problem with my son.
5. The news that the President had quit came as a great surprise to everyone.
Everyone __WAS TAKEN ABACK BY THE__ President quitting.
6. Do you mind if I observe you while you draw that sketch?
Do you __HAVE ANY OBJECTION IF I__ observe you while you draw that sketch?
7. Janet has never passed any exams, as far as I'm aware.
To __MY KNOWLEDGE, JANET HAS__ no formal qualifications.
8. None of us was expecting to have a test this morning.
This morning's test __CAME OUT OF THE BLUE__ for every one of us.