C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is Key Word Transformations. In this part, a sentence is followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student must use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence. This type of exercise is found in many high level exams such as Cambridge Advanced and Proficiency.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Key Word Transformations Worksheet 5
For each sentence, use between three and eight words in the space provided so that the second sentence has the same meaning as the first sentence. You must use the word given in bold without changing it in any way. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. I could only afford that house because of the loan you gave me.
Had __________________________ money, I wouldn't have been able to afford the house.
2. You don't have to come and see the new house if you don't wish.
You are __________________________ and see the new house if you don't wish.
3. You should have seen the boss as soon as you arrived. You knew he wanted to see you.
You __________________________ boss when you arrived.
4. She is already married and you knew! I wish you had told me.
You __________________________ she was married!
5. I went in to work for an hour even though I knew it was a holiday.
I need __________________________ into work but I did anyway.
6. The headmaster will give a prize to the top student of the year.
The __________________________ a prize by the headmaster.
7. Police arrested Johnson because they think he was involved in the robbery.
Johnson was detained __________________________ in the robbery.
8. You don't need to concern yourself with the new tax laws till October.
The new tax laws __________________________.