C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is Key Word Transformations. In this part, a sentence is followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student must use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Key Word Transformations Worksheet 4
For each sentence, use between three and eight words in the space provided so that the second sentence has the same meaning as the first sentence. You must use the word given in bold without changing it in any way. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. You are not a bad lawyer Martin, but I don't think it is a very suitable job for you.
I just don't think you __________________________ a lawyer.
2. I don't have the foggiest idea whether he will be coming or not.
I have __________________________ he will be coming or not.
3. He failed the exam as he didn't work as fast as the rest of the class.
His failure was blamed on his inability __________________________ rest of the class.
4. Everyone is criticising the government for its poor unemployment record
The government __________________________ over its unemployment record.
5. He was always going to leave that house after the divorce was finalised.
He __________________________ the house after the divorce.
6. I don't find it at all surprising that nobody came to the party.
It's __________________________ nobody came to the party.
7. Please don't tell anyone else what I told you about Elizabeth.
__________________________ yourself what I told you about Elizabeth.
8. Our boss is absolutely determined not to give us that pay rise.
Our boss __________________________ the pay rise.