C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is Key Word Transformations. In this part, a sentence is followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student must use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Key Word Transformations Worksheet 22
For each sentence, use between three and eight words in the space provided so that the second sentence has the same meaning as the first sentence. You must use the word given in bold without changing it in any way. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. The area was frequently affected by flooding.
The __________________________ repeated floods.
2. They aren't keeping as many dogs in the dog shelter as last year.
There are keeping __________________________ at the dog shelter than last year.
3. Kate was told to wait for an hour before her appointment.
Kate __________________________ an hour before her appointment.
4. It's very unlikely that we will win the lottery.
There is very __________________________ the lottery.
5. We found him trying to steal the confidential documents.
We __________________________ steal the confidential documents.
6. The company hid all the details of their wrongdoing.
Details of their wrongdoing __________________________ by the company.
7. She was extremely pleased when she won the lottery.
__________________________, she won the lottery.
8. She sought advice from Stephen about the new project.
She wanted to __________________________ about the new project.