C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is Key Word Transformations. In this part, a sentence is followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student must use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Key Word Transformations Worksheet 21
For each sentence, use between three and eight words in the space provided so that the second sentence has the same meaning as the first sentence. You must use the word given in bold without changing it in any way. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. The stories of them being divorced are not true.
Despite information __________________________ not divorced.
2. It's not really known for sure that she cheated in the exam.
It's by __________________________ cheated in the exam.
3. He would have completed his project, but there was no more funding available.
He would have completed his project had __________________________.
4. Is it alright if I borrow your car for the weekend?
Would __________________________ borrowing your car for the weekend?
5. Despite the worsening weather, he continued with his walk.
He __________________________ the worsening weather.
6. Why donít you listen to me when I tell you something important? said my husband.
My husband accused me of __________________________ when he was telling me something important.
7. The baby didn't wake up even during the loudest parts of the film.
The baby __________________________ despite the noise of the film.
8. Luke forgot his mother's birthday due to being busy with the children.
Luke was busy with his children and his mother's birthday completely __________________________.