C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is Key Word Transformations. In this part, a sentence is followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student must use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Key Word Transformations Worksheet 20
For each sentence, use between three and eight words in the space provided so that the second sentence has the same meaning as the first sentence. You must use the word given in bold without changing it in any way. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. He used his connections to secure a place at the prestigious university for his daughter.
He __________________________ to secure a place at the prestigious university for his daughter.
2. I never thought of asking my boss about training courses.
It's __________________________ ask my boss about training courses.
3. She would never even consider lying to her boss.
She __________________________ to her boss.
4. She told John that he couldn't both save for a car and save for a house.
You can't __________________________, John, either you buy a car or save for a house.
5. It's not surprising that she won the competition given her training.
Given her training, it's __________________________ the competition.
6. Her promotion to manager shouldn't surprise you.
Her promotion to manager __________________________ to you.
7. He was too slow to catch up with the rest of the runners in the marathon.
He couldn't __________________________ of the runners in the marathon.
8. Sales have decreased significantly in the past month.
There __________________________ in the past month.