C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is Key Word Transformations. In this part, a sentence is followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student must use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Key Word Transformations Worksheet 20 - Answer Sheet
For each sentence, use between three and eight words in the space provided so that the second sentence has the same meaning as the first sentence. You must use the word given in bold without changing it in any way. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. He pulled a few strings to secure a place at the prestigious university for his daughter.
2. It's never occurred to me to ask my boss about training courses.
3. She wouldn't dream of lying to her boss.
4. You can't have it both ways, John, either you buy a car or save for a house.
5. Given her training, it's no wonder she won the competition.
6. Her promotion to manager should come as no surprise to you.
7. He couldn't keep pace with the rest of the runners in the marathon.
8. There has been a sharp decrease in sales in the past month.