C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is Key Word Transformations. In this part, a sentence is followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student must use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Key Word Transformations Worksheet 19
For each sentence, use between three and eight words in the space provided so that the second sentence has the same meaning as the first sentence. You must use the word given in bold without changing it in any way. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. It may sound strange, but this book is actually written backwards.
Odd __________________________, this book is actually written backwards.
2. She intentionally ignored him during the meeting.
During the meeting, she __________________________.
3. If only you'd given me more time to prepare for the presentation!
You __________________________ more time to prepare for the presentation!
4. An ankle sprain meant Steve couldn't participate in the tournament.
Steve's ankle sprain __________________________ in the tournament.
5. She was deceived by his lying about his background.
She was __________________________ about his background.
6. They were making me feel bad about my mistake.
They were __________________________ for my mistake.
7. By climbing the mountain, there was a chance we could have got lost.
When we climbed the mountain, __________________________.
8. I donít intend to study that much for the exam.
I __________________________ that much for the Biology exam.