C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is Key Word Transformations. In this part, a sentence is followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student must use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Key Word Transformations Worksheet 17
For each sentence, use between three and eight words in the space provided so that the second sentence has the same meaning as the first sentence. You must use the word given in bold without changing it in any way. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. I quite like Paris, though Lyon is my favourite city in France.
Although I __________________________, Lyon is my favourite city in France.
2. I presume that you already know about the meeting tomorrow.
Can I __________________________ you already know about the meeting tomorrow.
3. The tuition fees for universities have become more expensive.
The __________________________ higher.
4. It makes perfect sense that you want to read the contract very carefully.
__________________________ that you want to read the contract very carefully.
5. Someone fell off a chair just as lunch was starting.
Hardly __________________________ fell off a chair.
6. You should not share this information with anyone.
Please __________________________ yourself.
7. The politician was accused of ignoring bullying in her office.
The politician was accused of having __________________________ bullying in her office.
8. I didn't sit down until my mum had finished cleaning the table.
I __________________________ the table before I sat down.