C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is Key Word Transformations. In this part, a sentence is followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student must use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Key Word Transformations Worksheet 16
For each sentence, use between three and eight words in the space provided so that the second sentence has the same meaning as the first sentence. You must use the word given in bold without changing it in any way. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. Sarah learns languages more quickly than others.
Sarah can __________________________ than others.
2. You should put a line through anyone on that list you don't know.
Anyone's name on that list that you don't know, __________________________.
3. Having worked in the fashion industry for years, Julie understands how everything works.
Having worked in the fashion industry for years, Julie __________________________.
4. Despite her nerves, she summoned her courage and entered the haunted house.
Despite her nerves, she __________________________ and entered the haunted house.
5. If it weren't for the seatbelt, he would have been seriously injured.
__________________________ the seatbelt, he would have been seriously injured.
6. Lisa was tired so went to bed before she normally does.
Lisa __________________________ because she was tired.
7. I certainly didnít expect to enjoy this vegan cake as much as I did.
This vegan cake certainly __________________________.
8. I really don't know what happened at the party.
I __________________________ happened at the party.