C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is Key Word Transformations. In this part, a sentence is followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student must use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Key Word Transformations Worksheet 14 - Answer Sheet
For each sentence, use between three and eight words in the space provided so that the second sentence has the same meaning as the first sentence. You must use the word given in bold without changing it in any way. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. Carla thinks it would be better if Tom discovered the answer for himself.
Carla would prefer __IF TOM FOUND OUT THE__ answer for himself.
2. He left the house early, but arrived after he expected.
Despite __SETTING OFF EARLY, HE ARRIVED__ late.
3. Unless this weather really changes overnight, we'll leave at 6am.
Providing __THERE'S NO CHANGE IN__ the weather overnight, we'll leave at 6am.
4. The desert was completely devoid of trees.
There __WERE NO TREES WHATSOEVER IN__ the desert.
5. Patrick wanted to guarantee that everything was as it should be on his wedding day.
Patrick didn't __LEAVE ANYTHING TO CHANCE__ on his wedding day.
6. Susan didn't tell Dan about the bill until he'd finished his dinner.
Susan __WAITED FOR DAN TO FINISH__ dinner before telling him about the bill.
7. Don't let his relaxed manner fool you. He's an extremely clever businessman.
Don't be __TAKEN IN BY__ his relaxed manner. He's an extremely clever businessman.
8. "It's none of your business who I go out with!" Bryan informed his mother.
Bryan informed his mother that who his friends were __WAS OF NO CONCERN__ of hers.