C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is Key Word Transformations. In this part, a sentence is followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student must use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Key Word Transformations Worksheet 12 - Answer Sheet
For each sentence, use between three and eight words in the space provided so that the second sentence has the same meaning as the first sentence. You must use the word given in bold without changing it in any way. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. Do you think Bob's grandmother was offended by what I said?
Do you think __BOB'S GRANDMOTHER TOOK EXCEPTION TO__ my remarks?
2. Jen thinks it would be better to get on as quickly as possible.
Jen would prefer us __TO MAKE AS MUCH__ progress as we can.
3. I wish to express my concern over the proposed lay offs.
I feel I must say __HOW WORRIED I AM BY__ the proposed lay offs.
4. We were astonished by the announcement as we hadn't thought we would win an award for the movie.
Not __HAVING EXPECTED AN AWARD__ for the film, we were completely astonished by the announcement.
5. Jones found it difficult to get used to the fact that he'd lost his job.
Jones found it hard __TO COME TO TERMS WITH__ the fact that he'd lost his job.
6. Neil was upset that his wife didn't support him in the argument.
Neil was upset his __WIFE DIDN'T BACK HIM UP__ in the argument.
7. The extra cost is annoying, but I'm sure William can solve our problems.
The extra cost is annoying, but I'm sure William can __COME UP WITH A SOLUTION__ to our problems.
8. Jenny didn't feel like meeting friends on Wednesday.
Jenny __WASN'T IN THE MOOD FOR__ meeting friends on Wednesday.