C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is Key Word Transformations. In this part, a sentence is followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student must use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Key Word Transformations Worksheet 10 - Answer Sheet
For each sentence, use between three and eight words in the space provided so that the second sentence has the same meaning as the first sentence. You must use the word given in bold without changing it in any way. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. Kids and seniors are much more prone to infection than others.
Kids and seniors __PICK UP INFECTIONS MORE__ easily than others.
2. It's highly unlikely that we'll promote Debbie this summer.
There's very little __CHANCE OF DEBBIE__ being promoted this summer.
3. I'd prefer to be given the opportunity to work with other colleagues.
I think it would be better __TO BE ALLOWED TO WORK__ as a team.
4. Please read the user manual with care before you use this machine.
Before __MAKING USE OF__ this machine, please read the user manual with care.
5. I'd never thought of asking the hotel manager for advice about tourist sites.
It had never __OCCURRED TO ME TO ASK__ the hotel manager for advice about tourist sites.
6. The cost of software has gone up a great deal recently.
There has been __SHARP INCREASE IN THE PRICE__ of software recently.
7. It's very difficult for many people to express their feelings.
Putting __FEELINGS INTO WORDS__ is very difficult for many people.
8. Helga refuses to pay the dry cleaning bill.
Helga has __NO INTENTION OF PAYING__ the dry cleaning bill.