C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is Key Word Transformations. In this part, a sentence is followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student must use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Key Word Transformations. Worksheet 1.
For each sentence, use between three and eight words in the space provided so that the second sentence has the same meaning as the first sentence. You must use the word given in bold without changing it in any way. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. Electricity is getting very expensive these days.
The __________________________ higher and higher these days.
2. Unemployment has risen considerably over the last eighteen months and the government is under pressure to find a solution.
The government is under pressure due to __________________________ over the last eighteen months.
3. The minister's resignation from the government was caused by the discovery of his role in the financial scandal.
The discovery of the minister's role in the financial scandal __________________________ the government.
4. Oh, there you are! I didn't even know you had gone out!
I __________________________ fact that you had gone out.
5. Don't get involved in this John, it has nothing to do with you.
This has nothing to do with you so __________________________.
6. I really can't understand why he can't finish the project on time.
I am really __________________________ to finish the project on time.
7. Mr. Edwards was sacked partly because of his arriving late to work.
Mr. Edwards' constant lateness __________________________ from the company.
8. You can't just suddenly decide to go on a safari. You need to plan things very carefully.
Going on safari isn't a decision you can make __________________________ moment. You need to plan things very carefully.