Advanced Level >> Vocabulary Worksheets >> These are words related to physical contact with other people. Everything from nudge to slap and kick. Students talk about which context each would be used in and associated language and emotions.
Using a dictionary and working with another student, think of examples when you would use the following physical contact with another person. Would you be angry? Happy? What would you be saying to the person with each one?
Now pick the best word for these six sentences. Remember to think carefully about the form of each word!
- Tania and Rachel behaved terribly at the dinner table tonight. Rachel was __________ her little sister under the table. I don't know what they were fighting about.
- I didn't know our boss had even walked into the room but Caroline gave me a quick __________ to get my attention.
- When the police officer gave her the news, she became hysterical. He gave her a __________ to calm her down. It was the most unbelievable thing I've ever seen.
- The young boy sat on the sofa together with his uncle watching his favorite film as his uncle affectionately __________ his hair.
- I remember that afternoon up on the mountain. It was the day I almost fell off the mountain. I would have if Ben hadn't __________ me at just the right moment.
- She didn't __________ you up. You fell over the chair.