Phrasal Verb Gap Fill Worksheet C-D
Complete this exercise by choosing one of the phrasal verbs given in the box below. Each phrasal verb is used one time. Sometimes, you must use a pronoun between the main verb and the particle. If this is the case, the required pronoun can be found in brackets after the space.
Remember the tenses!
1. They decided to name their son Arthur like after the husband's father even though she wanted to _________________ (him) her brother Vincent.
2. We don't want to _________________ the baseball match now. A lot of people have already bought tickets.
3. My father was _________________ into the army when he was only 17.
4. My aunt is a type of nurse. She _________________ elderly people at a residential care centre.
5. The 3 men who robbed the First National Bank were confronted by the most technologically advanced security system developed for a bank but they still managed to _________________ (it).
6. With property prices so high now, you should _________________ on your house before they fall again.
7. She needs to _________________ to what her boss is doing behind her back. She will go to jail with him!
8. Seeing as I have the day off today, I will _________________ on my correspondence.
9. Try and get your brother to ______________. He looks thoroughly miserable!!
10. Every air crash _________________ at the public's confidence in the airlines.
11. The new owners will be here on Monday so we need to _________________ totally by then.
12. The police say they are _________________ on the serial killer after his ex-wife came to them.
13. I fear Mary has _________________ the flu again. She catches it off the other kids at school.
14. John planned the speech meticulously and everything _________________ really well. It was a great success.
15. The union _________________ to the restructuring plan after several weeks of tough negotiation.
16. The photocopier isn't working so I have to _________________ this document by hand.
17. Mandy will be away all next week so I want you to _________________ her.
18. When I arrived to vote, I found that my name had been _________________ the list - someone else had voted in my name!
19. The passenger pigeon _________________ in the USA in the 19th Century.
20. I think the government should _________________ all laws pertaining to public speech and expression.
21. We are totally lost Mike. Why don't we _________________ and try and find our original path.
22. The general meeting _________________ for two hours longer than anticipated.
23. If we want that yacht, you realise we will have to _________________ all our savings from the bank.
24. Stop beating about the bush, Tony. What are you _________________ when you say "more money"? Do you want a pay rise or not?
do away with
come down with