Past Modals of Deduction
Choose one of the following to complete the sentences.
Must have - Might have - Could have - May have - Should have - Can't have
- John ____________ gone on holiday. I saw him this morning downtown.
- Nobody answered the phone at the clinic. It ____________ closed early.
- I ____________ revised more for my exams. I think I'll fail!
- Sarah looks really pleased with herself. She ____________ passed her driving test this morning.
- I didn't know you were going to Phil's party yesterday. You ____________ told me!
- I can't believe Jim hasn't arrived yet. He ____________ caught the wrong train.
- I can't believe Jim hasn't arrived yet. He ____________ caught the correct train.
- Don't lie to me that you were ill yesterday. You ____________ been ill - Don said you were at the ice hockey match last night.
- I don't know where they went on holiday but they bought Euros before they left so they ____________ gone to France or Germany.
- His number was busy all night - he ____________ been on the phone continuously for hours.
- It ____________ been Mickey I saw at the party. He didn't recognise me at all.