Upper Intermediate Level >> Vocabulary Worksheets >> Students select verbs and adjectives to go together with nouns. This type of collocation exercise is important for your students' vocabulary development.
Collocations - Nouns
Choose the best verb or adjective from the table below to go with the nouns and complete the sentences.
1. I got a letter off a __SECRET__ admirer! I have no idea who it is, but I would like to!
2. This decision will be by __OPEN__ ballot. Everyone will know how everyone else voted.
3. I think we should __ABANDON__ caution and get married straight away!
4. The Ebola epidemic __BROKE OUT__ in parts of Africa.
5. I had to __OVERCOME__ a lot of hardships before the company finally succeeded.
6. Why did John say he was seeing Julie this evening? That was a __BLATANT__ lie - I have just seen Julie out with her mother.
7. The lawnmower motor has __BURNED OUT__. I guess the grass was just too long!
8. Two new prisons are being built in the south of the area to __ALLEVIATE__ overcrowding at the existing ones.
9. I have asked you three times where you were yesterday evening. Are you __DUCKING__ the question?
10. Because this is a private party and we all know each other, I think we should __WAIVE__ the rule about having to smoke outside. What does everyone else think?
11. I want absolute silence during this exam. Nobody __UTTER__ a single sound!
12. The famous singer moved to an island in Africa to __EVADE__ taxes.
13. You said you would invest in the company and I think you should __HONOUR__ that undertaking.
14. The Prime Minister was in the capital today, __CANVASSING__ for votes in the upcoming election.