The definitions and idioms have been lined up in the table...and the answers filled in for each sentence.
|Have the stomach for a fight.||Be in the mood for a tough argument, encounter.|
|Have your finger in many pies.||Be involved with many projects simultaneously.|
|Get it off your chest.||Talk to someone to about problem you have.|
|Pig's ear.||Disaster, catastrophe|
|Have your head in the clouds||Not to concentrate, dream about something else.|
|Have your head screwed on (straight)||Be sensible, wise, reasonable.|
|Head over heels in love||Totally in love with someone|
|Chip on the shoulder.||Negative attitude towards something for no reason.|
|Keep your chin up||Try and stay happy and think positively.|
|Keep your ear to the ground||Listen out for news about something.|
|Lip service||Something said only to be polite and keep someone happy.|
|Look down your nose at someone||Have a superior attitude towards others.|
1. Even if he gave you a HEAD START, he would still win. He's very fast!!
2. You have made a total PIG'S EAR of that cake! We will have to start all over again!!
3. If you are so worried and stressed about this problem, you should go and speak to your boss and GET IT OFF YOUR CHEST.
4. Look, I know it's been a terrible day, but try and KEEP YOUR CHIN UP. Your holidays start next week.
5. KEEP YOUR EAR TO THE GROUND and tell me if you find out something before I do.
6. He has always been considered a very wise, sensible person. He definitely HAS HIS HEAD SCREWED ON STRAIGHT.
7. I think she is totally besotted with him. She thinks about him all day and seems to be HEAD OVER HEELS IN LOVE.
8. First he started that company that makes sofas. Then he began selling computer software and now he has started his own website. He has always A LOT OF FINGERS IN DIFFERENT PIES
9. I think the problem with Maggie is that she LOOKS DOWN HER NOSE AT PEOPLE and thinks she is better than anyone else. All because her father has so much money.
10. It's not that he doesn't like you Mike. He hates anyone who went to university. He has a real CHIP ON HIS SHOULDER about it!!
11. The manager acted very tough at the beginning of the dispute but, in the end, didn't HAVE THE STOMACH FOR A FIGHT once the workers called a strike.
12. He is not stupid. His problem is that his concentration is terrible and he spends most of the day thinking about his crazy travel dreams. He HAS HIS HEAD IN THE CLOUDS.
13. I heard everything he said but it was all just LIP SERVICE. He didn't mean a word of it and he doesn't care at all about this problem.