Intermediate Level >> Grammar Worksheets >> Worksheet which tackles a problem had by many student at higher levels in their English learning - when to use plural and singular verbs with certain nouns. Ten thousand dollars is a lot of money or are a lot of money?
The Police Is...The Police Are.
For each space, choose the correct form of the given verb. Think about whether the noun is singular or plural.
1. This pair of sunglasses IS really expensive. I'm not paying that much!
2. These scissors ARE blunt. Get me another pair.
3. That jacket you're wearing is really nice but those green jeans ARE horrible.
4. Physics IS the study of the natural world.
5. The Spanish football team Real Madrid PLAY in the Bernebau Stadium in Madrid. I think there may be a difference between American and British English in this respect - in the UK, we would normally use a plural noun for a sports team.
6. The police ARE INVESTIGATING a break-in at the National Bank last night.
7. People ARE are always likely to tell lies to protect themselves.
8. Think carefully before you spend that amount of money. A thousand pounds IS a lot!
9. You should try walking so far just to find an open supermarket! Three miles TIRES you out so quickly, I'm telling you!
10. They have exaggerated a little with that new swimming pool. Did you see the temperature of the water? Forty one degrees IS too high!