Intermediate Level >> Grammar Worksheets >> Worksheet which tackles a problem had by many student at higher levels in their English learning - when to use plural and singular verbs with certain nouns. Ten thousand dollars is a lot of money or are a lot of money?
The Police Is...The Police Are.
For each space, choose the correct form of the given verb. Think about whether the noun is singular or plural.
1. This pair of sunglasses __________ (be) really expensive. I'm not paying that much!
2. These scissors __________ (be) blunt. Get me another pair.
3. That jacket you're wearing is really nice but those green jeans __________ (be) horrible.
4. Physics __________ (be) the study of the natural world.
5. The Spanish football team Real Madrid __________ (play) in the Bernebau Stadium in Madrid.
6. The police __________ (investigate) a break-in at the National Bank last night.
7. People __________ (be) are always likely to tell lies to protect themselves.
8. Think carefully before you spend that amount of money. A thousand pounds __________ (be) a lot!
9. You should try walking so far just to find an open supermarket! Three miles __________ (tire) you out so quickly, I'm telling you!
10. They have exaggerated a little with that new swimming pool. Did you see the temperature of the water? Forty one degrees __________ (be) too high!