Past Perfect Worksheet
Look at the list of events in each example. Then finish the single sentence to explain the situation. The first has been done as an example.
1. Kathy refused to open John's letter because he had insulted her at a party.
- John insulted Kathy at a party.
- John wrote to Kathy to apologise.
- Kathy refused to open the letter.
2. Jane passed her Biology exam because ___she had studied a lot___________.
- Jane studied a lot.
- Jane had an important Biology exam.
- Jane passed the exam, getting 92%.
3. Harry didn't get wet when it rained because ____he had taken an umbrella___________.
- Harry looked at the black clouds and took an umbrella.
- It started raining heavily.
- Harry stayed perfectly dry.
4. I missed the train yesterday because _____I had spoken to a friend_____.
- I met a friend and we spoke for ten minutes.
- The train left at 9am.
- I arrived at the station at 9.05am.
5. I didn't recognise Tim at all this morning because ____he had shaved off his beard____.
- Tim had a big black beard.
- He shaved it off two days ago.
- I met Tim today.
6. Bill Bulky, the famous sprinter, was banned from athletics for two years because ______he had taken some illegal drugs_____.
- The athlete wasn't performing very well.
- He took some illegal performance-enhancing drugs.
- He won the race but failed a drug test.
7. I told Graham I didn't want to go to the cinema because _____I had already seen "Alien 9" twice_____.
- I went to see "Alien 9" at the cinema.
- I went to see "Alien 9" at the cinema again a month later.
- Graham asked me to go and see "Alien 9" at the cinema last night.
8. The kitchen was flooded when we returned from Nairobi because ______the water pipes had broken______.
- We went on holiday to Kenya.
- The water pipes broke in our house.
- Water went all over the house.