Intermediate Level >> Error Correction Worksheets >> Students in pairs or groups look at different ways of expressing the past in English and attempt to 'buy' only those sentences they think are correct.
1. He was working in Vienna when he met his wife. OK
2. I have been to England four years ago. DEFINITE PAST TIME, SO 'I WENT TO ENGLAND....'
3. I have lost my keys again. OK.
4. I read a book and then I was going to sleep. NO, 'AND THEN I WENT TO SLEEP.
5. I watched TV when suddenly the telephone was ringing. NO, '...AND THEN THE TELEPHONE RANG.'
6. I've been reading an interesting book about Polish mushrooms recently. OK.
7. My daughter has been cutting her hand today. We had to take her to the hospital. NO, '...DAUGHTER CUT HER HAND...'
8. My mother visited Paris first and then she visited Madrid. OK.
9. Shakespeare has written over twenty plays. Should be past simple, not present perfect.
10. The train was leaving when I was arriving at the station and I was very angry. NO, '....WHEN I ARRIVED AT THE STATION.'
11. When I arrived at the station, the train had already left. OK.
12. When Tom got home, Jane cooked dinner. OK.
13. When Tom got home, Jane had cooked dinner. OK.
14. Where have you been yesterday? I couldn't find you. NO, 'WHERE WERE YOU...'
15. I know Simon for twenty three years. NO, '....HAVE KNOWN SIMON....'