Can, Be Able To Worksheet
For each space, choose a suitable version of "can", "could" or "be able to". Remember, there is sometimes more than one answer.
1. I haven't BEEN ABLE TO concentrate recently at work. I don't know what it is.
2. My brother CAN cook very well. He is a chef in a French restaurant.
3. When he was only 2, my friend Lee COULD speak quite well.
4. I have to go to a business dinner tomorrow night so I WON'T BE ABLE TO come to the party. I'm very sorry.
5. Kevin lived in Italy for six years, so he must BE ABLE TO speak Italian quite well. He will help you with your homework.
6. This telephone is terrible. I CAN'T (not) hear you at all.
7. Despite the arrival of the storm, they WERE ABLE TO to finish the football match.
8. When the car drove into the lake, one of the passengers COULDN'T (not) open the door and had to be rescued.
9. When I was very young, I used to BE ABLE TO touch my toes, but I CAN'T (not) now!!
10. The house was totally empty all day yesterday and I WAS ABLE TO finish that book I was reading.
11. My mother tells me that her grandfather was one of the best musicians of his time in the city and COULD play the piano like a professional.
12. I hope to BE ABLE TO speak English very well after this course finishes.