Pre-Intermediate Level >> Miscellaneous Materials >> Idea which gets students thinking about functions in English - what they want to achieve with a certain expression: complaining, agreeing, disagreeing, suggesting, apoligizing and so on.
Functions On Saturday Night
Put each of these expressions overheard on a Saturday night into the correct column according to the function involved.
- I think it would be better to go to the disco later. It will be too quiet now.
- You shouldn't have left such a small tip. I don't think I could ever go back there now!
- "Caroline's" is still open. What do you think?
- You must be furious with me. I couldn't find a parking space but now I have - I'll be there in two minutes.
- How about going to that nice Arab restaurant just near Wilson Drive?
- Half of that pizza was mine. I can't believe how greedy you are sometimes!
- I'll buy you another one if you can't get that clean. I'm so clumsy!
- Do you want to come with me this evening? I have a spare ticket.
- That would be a great idea. Let's go now!
- It's a really lively place but I think it would be too noisy tonight.
||inviting||making excuses||politely disagreeing|