Genitive Error Correction
In each of these sentences, there is an example of the genitive 's. Has it been used correctly or not?
1. John's mother is the head of the local computer company. OK
2. All her sons go to the local boy's school. local boys' school.
3. She has two daughter's and they are both at university. plural - two daughters and...
4. Computer's John is very old and he wants to buy a new one. John's computer...
5. My cats' names are Toby and Jess. OK
6. The woman who cleans the main sales office's name is Judy. overly long expression. Technically correct but avoided in real English. "The name of the woman who cleans the main sales office is Judy" is better.
7. I want to replace the car's wheel. It is broken. for objects, a compound noun ('the car wheel') or "of" ('the wheel of the car') is normally used.
8. It is the peoples' right to protest. noun already plural - ...the people's right...
9. Now I have four day's holiday. I am so happy. plural - ...four days' holiday.
10. That is not my watch. It's John's mother's. OK