B2 First (FCE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Use of English paper in the First Certificate Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge B2 First (FCE First Certificate)
Vocabulary Formation Worksheet 9 - Answer Sheet
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. I thought the stunts and action scenes in that movie were great! It must have been very __DANGEROUS__ for the stuntmen to do some of them.
2. Craig, did you see that __ADVERTISEMENT__ on TV last night for the new Volvo? I thought I would never stop laughing; it was brilliant!
3. What would have been an interesting political debate was ruined by the aggressive, bossy __INTERVIEWER__ and finally, one of the candidates walked out of the studio.
4. Ladies and gentlemen, the __CREATION__ of this new department will increase productivity and help the company to become __PROFITABLE__ again.
5. Young children have so much imagination and __CREATIVITY__ that it never fails to amaze me. If only adults were the same!
6. "The problem with young people today is that they don't realise how damaging their apathy and __IRRESPONSIBILITY__ can be," my uncle said.
7. I don't care if you didn't hear what I said. That is your problem: a total __INABILITY__ to listen to anything I say to you. I'm very disappointed in your behaviour.
8. The __SERVICE__ charge in that restaurant is 25%. I think we should go somewhere cheaper!