B2 First (FCE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Use of English paper in the First Certificate Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge B2 First (FCE First Certificate)
Vocabulary Formation Worksheet 6 - Answer Sheet
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. Herbert has been a(n) __ESSENTIAL__ member of this company's staff. I don't know what I would do without him!
2. The food at the restaurant was simply delicious. I just didn't think there was enough __VARIETY__.
3. Even though the actors did quite a poor job of bringing the book to the stage, the __PRODUCTION__ was of the highest quality.
4. Even though he is only 17, he is a very __PROMISING__ tennis player who could have a big future in the game.
5. The stock market has risen __CONSIDERABLY__ in the last six months and now is a good time to invest.
6. The __INVENTION__ of the printer is often believed to have been one of the most important of the last 500 years.
7. My brother chose that university because it does a very well recommended __JOURNALISM__ course and that's what he has always wanted to do.
8. Hamish had the __MISFORTUNE__ to lose his job only three weeks after getting married. But things turned out alright in the end.