B2 First (FCE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Use of English paper in the First Certificate Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge B2 First (FCE First Certificate)
Vocabulary Formation Worksheet 4
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. It isn't very ______________ that Paula is at home, is it? She usually works at this time.
2. Megan was told by her dietician that she was becoming ______________ thin and should eat more.
3. ______________ is the spice of life, says the proverb and everyone should try and do new things and meet new people to avoid becoming bored.
4. Harry had a difficult ______________ and was brought up by an aunt and uncle living in the country.
5. The whole dispute began after a small ______________ over the money needed to finance the new company.
6. The introduction of insecticides in the 20th Century ______________ agriculture across the world.
7. All the coastal towns in this area are ______________ by strong tradition of dance and there is a festival of dance that takes place every August.
8. My company has spent a lot of money building a new, ______________ factory which will nearly double production.