B2 First (FCE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Use of English paper in the First Certificate Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge B2 First (FCE First Certificate)
Word Formation Worksheet 32
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. The new strategy proved to be ______________ in increasing sales and the company closed.
2. His story was so strange that it was met with ______________.
3. She shared her ______________ on the controversial topic with her friends.
4. The secret message was ______________ in a series of numbers and symbols.
5. The terrifying movie "Blood Avenue" was designed to ______________ its audience.
6. The image was digitally ______________ to fit the larger screen.
7. To fit the new window, the builder had to ______________ the opening.
8. The athlete's performance was ______________ and earned him a standing ovation.