B2 First (FCE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Use of English paper in the First Certificate Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge B2 First (FCE First Certificate)
Vocabulary Formation Worksheet 3 - Answer Sheet
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. Buying and selling antiques can be a very __PROFITABLE__ hobby if you know how to find a good bargain.
2. We were left without any money for the last part of our holiday because we had __UNDERESTIMATED__ the cost of the train ticket to Norway.
3. Mr. Transom stared __CROSSLY__ at the group of students talking in the corner and they shut up immediately.
4. Jennings is so __WONDERFULLY__ enthusiastic about the game that his enthusiasm spreads to his team-mates and the result is usually a strong performance.
5. I think I was __UNFAIRLY__ sacked and have decided to bring the company to court.
6. Have you seen my handbag John? It seems to have totally __DISAPPEARED__!
7. You know your father is the most __UNFASHIONABLE__ person in the world. He is sure to be wearing one of his old sweaters to the party.
8. People will need to see __SCIENTIFICALLY__ provable information before they can believe in something like life on other planets.