B2 First (FCE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Use of English paper in the First Certificate Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge B2 First (FCE First Certificate)
Vocabulary Formation Worksheet 21 - Answer Sheet
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. I've been __UNEMPLOYED__ for over a year now. I've had about 15 interviews but nobody seems to want to give me a job.
2. My favorite subject at school was __CHEMISTRY__, although I was probably best at French.
3. I'd like to know the __SCIENTIFIC__ explanation for why it's foggy near the coasts.
4. How could you consider her a __FAILURE__ when she won three matches for us last year?
5. I want to work in either planning or __MANAGEMENT__ when I graduate.
6. _OCCASIONALLY___, she likes to be left alone so it's best to let her be.
7. The manager made several __UNREASONABLE__ demands of his workforce and they eventually went on strike.
8. We got rid of our old __TYPEWRITER__ and bought a computer with a word processor.