B2 First (FCE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Use of English paper in the First Certificate Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge B2 First (FCE First Certificate)
Vocabulary Formation Worksheet 2 - Answer Sheet
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. This queue hasn't moved in five minutes. I'm getting a bit __IMPATIENT__!
2. Politicians should spend some time living on the streets like __HOMELESS__ people have to and then they would understand better the problems they have.
3. Carl was calmly taking a photograph as this __ASTONISHINGLY__ large bear walked towards the car. It was a __TERRIFYING__ experience...at least for me!
4. If you go walking around the factory, ensure you have __PROTECTIVE__ clothing on.
5. Are you sure you have cleaned the kitchen? There is still a pretty __UNPLEASANT__ smell coming from it.
6. Although it isn't definite we will see you tomorrow, it is quite __LIKELY__.
7. Be sure not to put more than three __SPOONFULS__ of vodka into the mix, otherwise it will be too alcoholic.
8. Finding a cure for cancer will be a huge __MEDICAL__ breakthrough for mankind.