B2 First (FCE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Use of English paper in the First Certificate Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge B2 First (FCE First Certificate)
Vocabulary Formation Worksheet 19
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. He counted on her ______________ to get him through such a tough time.
2. The little boy cried at the ______________ of his mother's treatment. He hadn't done anything.
3. ______________ links around the city will need to be improved before the Olympics can be held.
4. Police spoke to three ______________ who had seen the accident.
5. The spelling of each word is fine, but the sentence makes no ______________ sense.
6. After suffering years of poverty and ______________, the family inherited some money and began to prosper.